Fraenkelufer Synagogue


The Jewish community’s master builder, Alexander Beer, erected this neo-classical structure between 1913 and 1916. The 2,000-seat structure originally housed an orthodox congregation. Medieval and baroque stylistic elements adorned the building. The magnificent structure also housed several residential apartments as well as two smaller sanctuaries – one for weekday services and another one for youth services. Nazi mobs destroyed the building during the pogrom of November 9 1938. The youth synagogue is all that remains of the once imposing structure. Today, the synagogue houses a conservative congregation. In 1989, a memorial plaque by Cornelia Lengfeld was dedicated in 1989 and amended in 1995.

Source: "Jüdische Orte in Berlin", Andreas Nachama/Ulrich Eckhardt. Copyright by Nicolai Verlag

For synagogue news, click here.

For the schedule of religious services, click here. 


Donations for Fraekelufer synagogue can be made to:

Jüdische Gemeinde zu Berlin, Synagoge Fraenkelufer
Konto  6000031198
BLZ  100 500 00
Berliner Sparkasse

IBAN: DE26100500006000031198 

Address & Contact

Synagoge Fraenkelufer

Fraenkelufer 10-12
10999 Berlin


Kabbalat Schabbat


Schabbat Schacharit


Send a message